8 things to do in Kathmandu even after earthquake


Everyone has their own favorites when it comes to seeing places and doing things and so do I. I am a big time foodie and a travel junkie and nothing stops me from munching around and nothing forbids me from the places I like to visit time and again, not even a 7.8 magnitude earthquake.

1.      The first on my list is mountain flights and it reserves a top spot on my list for the reason that it is an absolute stunner. The first time I had a seat right behind the pilot and copilot on a small aircraft which offered me a wide angle view of Himalayas stretched as far as India was awe-inspiring. It was 2010 that I had decided I would do mountain flight every once in a while if I had the shekels and luckily I have done is thrice since then.

2.      Walking around Durbar squares is another favorite Saturday fixation. I have had best times around these monument as a kid and visited them in field visits from schools very recurrently but there is something about these places that I cannot get over with and happen to frequent them every once in a while. The fascinating infrastructures of the prehistoric courtyards are still captivating even after the earthquake of 25th April, 2015 and attracting national as well as international spectators.

3.      Swayambhunath and Boudhanath: I remember walking and cycling to these places when I was in high school and it was one of the favorite places to visit almost every day off from the school. Swayambhunath also famed as the monkey temple wasn’t affected by the recent earthquake in Nepal and my conclusion after visiting the temple itself was that the amount of injuries it received is very nominal for an age old infrastructure like it. Boudhanath alike Swayambhu is another Buddhist stupa and pilgrimage with mane all around and prayer flags reflecting peace and serenity. I prefer Boudha over Syambhu for the reason that it is at the heart of the city and in hustle and bustle but the moment you enter the premises of the pilgrimage you make a radical shift to peace, serenity and prayers.    

4.      Chisapani and Nagarkot
Chisapani and Nagarkot are hill stations on the outskirts of Kathmandu and are very close to one another. Sad thing is that almost every house in Chisapani is affected by earthquake and most of them aren’t standing at all but the natural essence still remains and unlike highly glorified Nagarkot, Chisapani offers a lot of open space and natural ambiance where we tented a night and witnessed the best sunrise in the next morning. Nagarkot on the other hand is still favorite weekend hill station for national and international nomads.  Having well built infrastructures from very initial stage targeted at the tourist it still is unaffected by the recent tremors.
5.      Hiking and Cycling
For someone like me who was born, lives and works in Kathmandu this is one best escape from the hectic schedule of the city. Well I am not a hiking person but I surely love the wheels on trails and the nature. The recent escape on the wheels and on foot was not for leisure but for ensuring the wellbeing of the trails and nearby hikes. There are obvious and remarkable scars left behind from the recent quake but Dakshinkali, Bajrayogini, Sankhu, Bungmati, Panauti, Kakani, Namobuddha, Fulchoki are still worth observing. It is my personal advice to carry a tent and insulated mat at all times as most of the outskirts have travelled back in time and back to basics.

6.      Garden of Dreams is another favorite spot in the center of city and at the main entrance of Thamel which I like to visit every once in a while. The garden remains untouched by the month long tremors and is overwhelmed by tourists, young lovers, coffee enthusiasts, photography enthusiast and peace loving avid reader like me. The setting back then and till the day takes you to an ambiance of ancient Greek amphitheatre.

7.      Kirtipur was known as one the outskirts of Kathmandu which is known for its prehistoric settlements of ethnic Newari people, the first university of Nepal and finally for earthquake resistant city. Well after my recent visit I came to a conclusion that definitely it is a prehistoric but it certainly is not an earthquake resistant city. It still has the tang of the prehistoric settlement and is equally beautiful except for some fallen houses. The alleys I visited twice after the earthquake is still worth a bike ride and it is mesmerizing to watch people doing their daily chores.

8.      Thamel is the heartthrob of most of the travelers as it is a one stop solution for foreigners every need and to be honest a foodie like me. Italian, Indian, Continental, Chinese, Vietnamese, or name almost any cuisine in the world I crave for I manage to find my fix. It serves as a hub for clubs, bars, art, shopping, tattoo, food and you name it. After frequent visit to Thamel and surveying the area I found only 1 house to the ground zero, I find going to Thamel and eating in the restaurants and watching travelers is still fascinating. It would be a lie to say that Thamel remains unaffected but it has only received nominal damage and hotels, guesthouses or any sort of accommodation have received a green signal after minor fixes.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My BBC have it your say experience after earthquake in Nepal

Best time to visit Nepal

Is everything normal in Nepal?