Day 2: After the 7.9 earthquake in Nepal

There was a lot of crying and agony for the people whose family members survived and there was the same for the ones who lost their beloved ones. I and my mother as well for the entire sleepless night of aftershocks held hands and tried staying strong by providing each other motivation. The power was out so it wa dark and we could hear the entire communities phones and mobiles on the high.

Me and my mom and along with the entire community of at least 500 household spent the first day under the tents tarpaulins, under the open sky. It was one chaotic night and we could hear a huge noise under the ground, people chanting prayers, children crying, during and after every aftershocks. The night passed by with eyes wide open. Early in the morning the first thing that I did was sent my mom to my closest relative; my father's elder sister.

I told my mom I am going to be in the community to assess the damage but I and Sabin; one of my friend had already made the plans for the day. The plan was to clean Basantapur; an ancient UNESCO world heritage site. What I saw after reaching there was not what I expected and raised around, all I saw was dust, wooden logs, temples fallen to rock bottom, dead bodies and devastation. I sat for a while and drank water and I don't know for how long but I just kept staring at nothing for as long as I remember until my cell phone vibrated.

Sabin Dhoj Joshi


We started working around the rubble and more we dug the more frustrating it got, we saw dead bodies and injuries that we never saw in our entire lifetime. 100's of people who had lost lives, families, hands, limbs or something came in the open courtyard of the old palace and sat with a glum expression. We worked our day around the corner and worked hand in hand with the Nepalese army, indian rescue team and also witnessed those men do some great job and save lives.

After multiple calls from my mom and lying to her I am at my office and seeing enough dead bodies including some juveniles :( I couldn't stand much and returned home. Well the day was not over and had to make sure that the goons and thieves stayed away from the houses in our community, so we made a team of night watch where we made sure the houses in our community and the people under the tents were safe throughout the night. I came home around 2:00am in the morning and even after 17+ hours I couldn't sleep thinking about the people. Out of the blue and after not being able to sleep until 4am and taking an oath to help the victims I created an account on http://www.gofundme.com/t2faab3 and than only I could finally go to sleep.


Follow us on our facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/donatefornepalese

Donate for us: https://life.indiegogo.com/fundraisers/earthquake-victims-in-nepal--3/x/10645073

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My BBC have it your say experience after earthquake in Nepal

Best time to visit Nepal

Is everything normal in Nepal?